Preview page Next page

A historical and artistic profile of the church of the Rosario.

The history of the church dates back to 1573 when the Old Rosary was constructed, the first holy building dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary in the Diocese of Bologna. erected under the lee of the "ramparts' against the northern backdrop of Borgo da Sera, today Via Ugo Bassi.

It continues with the building of the current church between 1633 and 1644 in order to better embrace the increased number of brothers and to meet their needs connected with their main activities.

The new church is officially opened to the public on 13 June 1645 with a Mass celebrated in the family chapel of Cuercino, who as a confrere has played a role in the design of the church.

The façade elegant in its simplicity, solemnly rises from the three-arched portico dominated by as many rectangular windows crowned by curvilinear gables and the likewise curvilinear coping of the pediment.

Lacing the façade of the church is the parvis, attained after a major town redevelopment and fenced off from the neighbourhood by a high wall on the left.

On the right, the church is separated from the residential area by an 'alleywav' from where you can see the stark side wall ol the church enriched by the elegant bell tower built in the Fifties.

Façade of the Church of the Rosario , Cento (FE)
Façade of the Church of the Rosario

The interior hears witness to the simplicity of a wealth of baroque architecture which cannot be seen separately from the valuable collection of artworks displaying important theological themes of the Counter-Reformation: the Marian theme, represented by more than one image: penitence expressed in the figures of Saint Jerome and Saint John the Baptist: the heavenly Holy Jerusalem (unknown to the Protestant world) widely depicted in the numerous angels and Marian images; martyrdom represented by Saint John, the first martyr of antiquity Saint Lucy, a martyr of the Roman age, and the Japanese martyrs of the modern age, crucified during the first persecution against the Christians in Japan and sainted by Pius IX in 1862.

Center of the church of the Rosario , Cento (FE)
Center of the church of the Rosario

Their relics are kept in a 19th century coffer situated on the sixth altar on the left.

Furthermore, the theme of death exemplified in the death of Saint Joseph; the theme of vision and ecstasy in the Saints Dominic. Jerome and Francis in the family chapel of Guercino and in the two plastic representations of Saint Catherine of Siena and Saint Catherine of Alexandria: finally, the auxiliary Saints, or "holy helpers", in the figures of Saint Lucy and Our Lady of Perpetual Succour, venerated as Our Lady of Victories.

Saint Catherine of Siena and Saint Catherine of Alexandria Chiesa del Rosario , Cento (FE)
Saint Catherine of Siena and Saint Catherine of Alexandria

Preview page Next page



Copyright © 2009 - Confraternita del Guercino

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional 2009 - by Massimo Poli  CSS Valido!