Preview page Next Page

Guide to the Church of the Rosario part IV.

Fourth Chapel on the left.

Built in 1633. it houses an ancon Hanked by columns in the form of caryatids with two large angel figures.

It finishes at the top in a trabeation which supports the figures of Little Saint John in the centre and Saint Catherine of Alexandria and Saint Catherine of Siena on the sides.
In 1650 the painting by Guercino depicting the Apparition of the Virgin to Saint Jerome was placed inside it.

The painting was seized by the French in 1796; two years later it was exhibited at the Louvre and subsequently moved to the Parisian church of Saint Thomas of Aquin where it is to this day.

A blow-up with the same theme was put in the place of the original painting.

vs Rosario , Cento (FE)
Apparition of the Virgin to Saint Jerome

Fifth Chapel on the left.

Known as the "Chapel of Guercino" because the artist wanted it for himself and his family in 1633, the year in which the construction work of the church began while he was prior of the Brotherhood.

Upon completion of the works, the first Mass was celebrated in this chapel on 13 June 1645.

Upon completion of the works, the first Mass was celebrated in this chapel on 13 June 1645. The gilded wood ancon with an apparent 17th century design is flanked by two twisted columns enriched with floral ornaments.

The columns support an overhanging trabeation on which - below a 1645 A.D. scroll - two angels stand either side of the cornice bearing the words Pater in manus tuas commendo spiritum meum.

Fifth Chapel. The Chapel of Guercino of the Church of the Rosario , Cento (FE)
Fifth Chapel of the Church of Rosary. The Chapel of Guercino.

An arched painting above which is written Mors cum vita moritur depicts the Crucifixion painted by Guercino between 1644 and 1645.
In a dark thundery atmosphere, Christ lives His death on the cross in a Counter-Reformation climate, assuaging the drama and transforming His torment into acceptance of His Father's will.

Around the cross are the figures of Mary who, aware of the destiny of her Son, looks up to heaven, Magdalene kneeling in tears, and Saint John whose features so strongly resemble those of Guercino that it is thought to be a self-portrait.

In 1706 the painting was extensively repainted by Benedetto Gennari and in 1867 was again restored by Rizzoli of Pieve di Cento.

Crucifixion ( Guercino ) Church of the Rosario , Cento (FE)
Crucifixion ( Guercino )

The vault paintings of the figure of the Eternal Father in the centre and the figures of Saint John the Baptist and Saint Francis on the sides are the work of Guercino.

In 1642 the stucco statues of Saint Paul the Hermit and Saint Anthony the Abbot by the Bolognese artist Giovanni Tedeschi (Borgo Panigale 1595 ca.-1645) were placed in the richly decorated niches on the side walls of the chapel Works by the same artist are the plastic decoration of the chapel,the winged putti of the intrados and the two angels above the entrance arch bearing the words Mors mea vita tua.

Nicchie del Guercino Quinta Cappella Chiesa del Rosario , Cento (FE)
Nicchie del Guercino Quinta Cappella

Preview page Next Page



Copyright © 2009 - Confraternita del Guercino

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional 2009 - by Massimo Poli  CSS Valido!