Preview page Next Page

Guide to the Church of the Rosario part VII.

The Oratory.

The vast oratory constructed between 1660 and 1662 is accessed from the two doors to the side of the high altar crowned by angels in gilded wood. The oratorv houses the wooden ancon of the high altar prior to the refurbishments by Bibiena.

Made smaller to better fit into its new position, the centre of the ancon bears a painting of uncertain attribution originating from the old church, depicting Our Lady of the Rosary, Saint Dominic and Saint Rose of Lima.

The Oratory Church of the Rosario , Cento (FE)
The Oratory

Our Lady of the Rosary oratory Church of the Rosario Rosario , Cento (FE)
Our Lady of the Rosary

The Mysteries of the rosario by Antonio Coniarmi from the frame of the painting, imitating those done by Guercino for the parish of Corporeno.
The elegant briar choir stalls snake along three walls of the oratory, the grain giving shape to geometrical-architectural decorative elements.

The choir was designed by Matteo Veneto of Badia Polesine while the monumental wooden lectern is the work of Filippo Schiavina dating back to 1856.

A few paintings decorate the walls of the Oratory, two of which - commissioned in 1733 to Stefano Felice Ficatelli are testimony to dramatic moments in local history.

Saint Blasisus pleading before the Madonna and Child to stop the plugue in Cento oratory Church of the Rosario , Cento (FE)
Saint Blasisus pleading before the Madonna and Child to stop the plugue in Cento

Saint Michael stopping the armies of Nicolò Piccinino oratory Church of the Rosario , Cento (FE)
Saint Michael stopping the armies of Nicolò Piccinino

Originating from the abolished oratory of Saint Michael, they respectively represent Saint Blasiu spleading before the Madonna and Child to stop the 1630 plague in Cento and Saint Michael stopping the armies of Nicolò Piccinino about to destroy the city.

In addition to these two paintings, you can see: Our Lady of Loreto by an unknown Bolognese mannerist of the second half of the 16th century; two reproductions, one from a work of Guercino depicting the Madonna and Child and Saint Bruno.

The Madonna and Child and the Saints Jerome and Nicholas of Tolentino oratory Church of the Rosario , Cento (FE)
The Madonna and Child and the Saints Jerome and Nicholas of Tolentino

The Madonna and Child and Saint Bruno oratory Church of the Rosario , Cento (FE)
The Madonna and Child and Saint Bruno

(the original housed the municipal picture gallerv of Bologna) and the other, attributed to Lorenzo Gennari, depicting the Madonna and Child and the Saints Jerome and Nicholas of Valentino (the original housed in the municipal picture gallery (Pinacoteca Civica of Cento); finally, an arched painting with the image of Our Lady of the Rosary painted by Cesare Scala in 1651 with the function of covering the niche of the high altar at particular moments in the liturgical year.

Preview page Next Page



Copyright © 2009 - Confraternita del Guercino

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional 2009 - by Massimo Poli  CSS Valido!